Here are 10 True/False MCQs on clinically important anaerobes. Have a go at the questions and then click at the bottom for the answers with brief explanations.
1) Clostridium difficile infection responds well to intra-venous vancomycin? T/F
2) Propionibacterium acnes is a common cause of infections in prosthetic shoulder joints? T/F
3) Fusobacterium nucleatum is more pathogenic than Fusobacterium necrophorum? T/F
4) When Bacteroides fragilis is isolated from blood cultures, it often indicates intra-abdominal pathology? T/F
5) Lactobacillus is the dominant bacterium in a menstruating female? T/F
6) Actinomyces israelii is a facultative anaerobe? T/F
7) Prevotella species commonly produce beta-lactamase? T/F
8) Peptostreptococcus can occasionally be a contaminant in blood cultures. T/F
9) Veillonella is a Gram negative bacillus. T/F
10) If anaerobic culture is negative then anaerobic antibiotic cover can be discontinued? T/F
Click here for the answers and brief explanations.